Tuesday 28 July 2009

Teaching the Teachers

I arrived late in the town of Huye, previously known as Butare, late on Sunday and was thrust into my first lesson as an English Teacher at 8.00am next day. I have a class of around (it has varied by session) 40 teachers, of a broad range of ages, experience and knowledge of English. It's occasionally a challenge! We are working from a 2 week prepared course with plenty of scope for improvisation. We have played word games and sang, and today the class made presentations on the theme, "What I would do if I were the President of Rwanda." I heard much about the Teacher's priorities for improving the education system, the care for children and the work needed on economic development. We teach until 2pm with two half hour breaks and so there is time to visit the local area after we have finished working.
Yesterday I went to the Rwandan equivalent of the FA Cup semi final with the local team making its way to Saturday's final in Kigali on the away goals counting double rule, since both legs resulted in a draw. The local crowd went wild and it didn't seem possible that a fairly small by UK standards, crowd could make so much noise. Today I visted the Rwandan National Museum which is based here and provides a backgroung to the country's more distant history and culture.
We will be here until Friday when the course finishes and we make our way back to Kigali for a final night with the entire team on Project Umubano and our flight home on Saturday.