Sunday 12 July 2009

House meeting

Last week I joined a group of young mums for a chat about general matters of concern to them. I believe that there is a new interest in politics, partly as a consequence of the MP's expenses issue. The idea is for people to be able to question me about my ideas and motivation as well as for me to hear more about their thoughts on the issues that are important. With the people I met at Emma's house, amongst other things, we spoke about what makes Rugby a good place to live and the impact of the new housing proposals; the lack of bus services on the recently built housing estates and the cost of public transport; the pressure some young mothers feel under to return to work earlier than they might like linked to the difficulty in keeping up with developments in a career while bringing up children. I enjoyed hearing things from a different perspective and hope to hold more house meetings in the future. Please let me know if there is anyone who would like me to visit & chat in this way (assuming they are resident in the new Rugby constituency!)