Friday 13 March 2009

Bulkington boxing club

On Wednesday I joined Bulkington councillors John Ross, Des O'Brien and Julian Gutteridge at Bulkington boxing club who were opening an extension of facilities at the club. A redundant temporary classroom from the county council has been made available and a new boxing ring has been installed. I met Stewart Tidman who is secretary and matchmaker of the club who told me all about how the club came into being and its role in the community. I think the work that they are doing with young lads is absolutely fantastic, giving them a sense of belonging and achievement with several Midlands champions. As a father of two teenage boys, I know how much energy they have and it's great to see that energy channelled in a positive way. Stewart told me that they have a waiting list of both boys and girls wanting to join the club and with the excellent organisation they have, that's no surprise.