Monday 23 March 2009

Alun's Memorial

Twickenham on Saturday was the usual great day out with an England win, which was pretty convincing. I enjoyed meeting up with English friends from Scotland who had brought some Scots down with them. Only for a few minutes in the second half did I think there was any chance of the Scots, who never really looked like scoring a try, coming into the game. The Wales v Ireland game on the big screen in the bar afterwards was pretty exiting too!
I took the opportunity to look out the memorial to my schoolfriend, Alun Williams, who is remembered by a plaque at the ground. Alun was one of the nicest guys ever but who was so unfortunate with his health. I have always associated Alun with Twickenham ever since, despite having both Welsh parents and the most Welsh name, he played there for England Schoolboys against Wales in 1972.
I had thought his plaque was in the wall of fame and was surprised to find it on the ground in the walk of fame! A fitting tribute to a great player and brilliant person and now that I know where it is in the stadium, I will remember to visit each time I'm down for the game.