Monday 19 February 2007

Sunday morning t v

I watched and listed to the Blair interview with Andrew Marr on Sunday while at the gym. I have been going to the gym at that time for several weeks with my son and have found the Sunday morning political interviews a good way of keeping up with different views. Marr was his usual pussycat self while Blair is increasingly looking like someone who is having to justify his existence. His remarks about teenage gangs, gun crime and the recent report about how our children are growing up reminded me of the observation that you can’t make bad people good simply by passing new laws.

I didn’t catch all of David Davis’s interview with Adam Boulton on Sky because by then I’d moved on to the weights. However I did hear David talking about how gang leaders fear other gang leaders more than the police and how we’ve got to free up the police to bring these criminals to justice. David also has an interesting perspective on the benefits of bringing up children in a stable two parent family due to his own family background.

I didn’t vote for David Davis in the leadership election but since then have been enormously impressed by how he has responded to not achieving his goal. He is a role model in accepting what has happened, supporting a new leader and moving on. He is making the most effective attacks on Labour, John Reid and the shambles that is the Home Office. It will be great for the country to have him as a strong, no nonsense Home Secretary.