Friday 23 February 2007

All part of the job

I spent the early part of tonight with MP Jeremy Wright at his weekly surgery. Jeremy arranges for a councillor to regularly be with him, subject of course to the permission of each constituent attending, to contribute on any matters that might concern the Council. I have assisted Jeremy several times and have found surgery to be one of the most interesting aspects of an MP’s work. People often visit their MP as a matter of last resort or when an issue arises on which they feel strongly and it is often a way of finding out what is really happening. Jeremy is very thorough in his approach and works hard to provide a response, although it may not always be what a constituent wants to hear! One of the things I have enjoyed about being a councillor is being able to help people and I look forward to continuing to do that when I take over from Jeremy as Rugby’s MP.