Tuesday 6 February 2007

Difficult Decisions No. 1

As a politician, I know that life is full of difficult decisions.

An early one for me, following my selection as Parliamentary Spokesman for Rugby, has been whether to put my name forward as the Conservative Candidate for Dunchurch & Knightlow at the coming elections for Rugby Borough Council. I have been a Councillor for five years and thoroughly enjoyed helping people in my Ward as well as playing my part in the Council, in the Chamber, on panels and in the past year on cabinet as Housing Portfolio holder. My current four year term comes to an end in May this year.

Having taken advice from many people whose opinion I respect, I have reluctantly decided to step down and there are several reasons for my decision. The main one is that I intend to spend all of my energy in ensuring that the Conservatives win the Rugby seat at the next general election, most likely to be held in May 2009. I am still involved in my business, I still like to spend time (occasionally!) with my family and know from my experience as the Candidate in Nuneaton in 2005 there will be much to do dealing with issues and attending events across the constituency. There are only so many hours in each day!

I know that the residents of Dunchurch & Knightlow will continue to be well served by Conservative Councillor, Bill Shields and that with plenty of competition for the Conservative nomination to contest the seat in May, there will soon be another strong Conservative Councillor to speak up for them. In the meantime over the next three months, I will continue to do my best for the people in the Ward and make a constructive contribution in Council.