Tuesday 23 June 2009

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

In Rwanda I will be joining the team teaching Rwandan teachers English for them to teach both language and their own subject in English. Yesterday I went on a full day's crash couse to learn the principles with a variety of exercise and finishing up with teaching practice. There's a lot more to it than I expected and I an sure we will be doing a great deal of improvising & learning on the job when we get there. I shall start collecting props and ideas straight away & I'm sure that my daughter, Sara who is 11 will give me some starters. The course tutor handed us a copy of the English Language Gazette at the end which includes an article about Rwanda's rejection of French in favour of English as it's second language with a quote from Trade and Industry Minister, Vincent Karega, about the development of English as the backbone for growth and development in the region.