Tuesday 1 July 2008

Veterans Day

On Friday I attended the Veterans Day Celebrations organised by the Bulkington Branch of the Royal British Legion. Veterans Day is a nationwide celebration of the contribution made by all who have served in the Armed Forces as a way of raising public awareness. I know from my time as candidate in Nuneaton (when Bulkington was part of that constituency) just how hard working the British Legion is there and the event consisted of a service in St James Church where I enjoyed the address by the Venerable Ian Watson, Archdeacon of Coventry, himself a former military man, followed by the laying of wreaths and a march past by the Coventry Ex Servicemens Corps of Pipes & Drums, 30th Signal Regiment from Bramcote and many others. It was a formal event which caused me to consider the role of the military today and the tasks we ask them to perform and gave me the opportunity to meet up with many friends from the Nuneaton side of Rugby constituency.