Tuesday 15 July 2008

Pressures of being a candidate

I was saddened to learn that my colleague, Simon Rouse has decided to stand down from his role of Parliamentary candidate in Nuneaton. I understand that the pressure of work and family has meant that Simon has felt unable to keep working in the constituency as hard as he has done so far and he has chosen to allow someone else to take over. This is an enormously courageous decision on his part and I am pleased to see from the ConservativeHome article and comments, including from Chairman John Waine, here, that the sound people of Nuneaton both respect and understand this. From my own experience there in 2005 and now in Rugby, I know just how demanding this role is and I appreciate how lucky I am to be at a later stage in my career and able to concentrate on being a candidate.