Tuesday 20 November 2007

Councillor Bryan Levy

Have just returned from the funeral of Bryan Levy. Bryan was a larger than life local Labour poitician who served on both Borough and County Councils. I enjoyed listening to the tributes given by senior politicians of both main parties and an and was able to reflect how despite being on opposing sides, in local politics there is sense of working together for the good of the community and how despite having differing opinions, friendships can be built up.
I have a particular and non political reason for being grateful to Bryan. Bryan's career before politics was in the catering trade and in 1982 when I started my business he was Catering Manager at Aston University in Birmingham. I rang up for an appointment and he agreed to see me. He gave me a fair hearing and started to use us as a supplier despite knowing about my connection with the local Conservatives. I well remember dropping by just before Christmas in the early 80's and joining him for a quick drink....in fact there was no way of leaving Bryan's office without one!