Sunday 22 November 2009

Citizenship

I was very pleased to join Cllr Tom Day at Binley Woods Primary School on Friday morning and not just because over 40 years ago I was a pupil at the school albeit in now demolished premises. Tom was leading the year 6 class in citizenship and spoke about the different level of Government, with my contribution being my aspirations to represent Rugby in Westminster. Tom arranged for house teams within the class to form a political party and prersent their aspirations for how Binley Woods could be made better. We heard some ambitious ideas including more shops with a local Marks & Spencer (!) and a fishing lake together with some practical ones based around the local environment. All groups referred to the prize asset the village has, which is access to the woods, where I remember spending much of my time when I was growing up. The manifestos were voted on and the wining group will have the chance to present their ideas to the Parish Council. I was impressed by the constructive ideas of the children and how well they got them down on paper and the confidence with which they presented them. I'm sure I met some of the politicians of the future. Thanks to Mrs Watts of the School for the photos and Tom for a well planned and organised morning. The children dont usually have such wacky hairstyles - the school was holding a mad hair day to raise money for Children in Need.