Monday 5 October 2009

Listening to Young People

On Friday I joined a class of 17-18 year olds studying citizenship at the Rugby site of Warwickshire College, many of whom are hoping to take up careers in the uniformed services. I spoke about the role of a Parliamentary Candidate and the selection process, before being asked questions. I later took part in a Question Time type debate when some of the students joined me on the panel. I was asked about my motivation in seeking to become an MP which led to a lively debate about expenses. No surpise to find that the students feel the same way an most people about some of the items that were claimed for! We moved on to many of the matters that would be raised by a wider audience, with emphasis on local matters including road congestion in the town centre and safety late at night. It reaffirmed my view that there are very few issues that are exclusive to young people and that they are just as concerned about the things that matter to the country as a whole. Great to see some friendly faces in the audience in the form of some of my son's team mates from Rugby Lions, who came up with some good questions and thoughtful contributions.