Thursday 15 October 2009

House meeting Hillmorton

Continuing my series of meetings at peoples homes across the consituency, yesterday I was invited to the house of Eleanor Thorneycroft where I met number of her friends and neighbours. I explained that I was there to answer questions and listen to points of view and inevitably with the focus again on MP's expenses following Sir Thomas Legg's audit that was an early topic for discussion. I explained that by the time of the next Parliamentary intake there will almost certainly be new rules in place and if I am succesful in Rugby, I will clearly abide by them. Having run my own business for 25 year I am quite used to preparing accounts for submision to the authorities and will continue to do so in any future role. We moved on to a very wide ranging discussion covering international issues such as our approach to terrorism; national issues including border controls and illegal immigration, family breakdown and the downward movement of decision making within government; and local issues such as the mast site development proposals and new charges for renting an allotment in Rugby. All in all I was put through my paces by a well informed group. If you know anyone who would like me to join them for a similar discussion, please let me know and I will be glad to come along.