Wednesday 2 January 2008

Happy New Year!

After the highlight of David Cameron’s visit to Rugby in April, for Parliamentary Candidates like me, 2007 was the year of the “nearly election”. We expected a 2009 poll until Gordon Brown led us on a merry dance in the autumn. With a November election apparently almost a certainty, we put in place our campaign plans, only to see our hopes of changing the Government dashed at the last minute.

Given that most commentators think that the economic situation will get worse rather than better in the coming year, we may have wait as late as 2010 to make a change. Between now and then, we Conservatives will be seen as a Government-in- waiting with the ideas, initiatives and vision to change Britain for the better. Here in Rugby I will have the opportunity to continue my dialogue with voters and so, with my team, we will be out on doorsteps and in the town centre with our monthly surveys listening to what people have to say about topical issues.

Being a Parliamentary Candidate has enabled me to go to places I wouldn’t normally have visited and to and meet people I wouldn’t otherwise have met. I have thoroughly enjoyed all of those experiences and have learnt a great deal from the many people I have come into contact with. I am looking forward immensely to continuing to do that in the New Year.