Sunday 13 January 2008

A cold morning in Bilton

I spent Saturday morning on the doorsteps of Bilton with Councillor Lisa Parker (no photo as I forgot to take my camera). It was howling a gale and bitterly cold and I was struggling to write down people’s survey responses as my hands were so numb. At one point Lisa turned to me and said “You must really want to do this to be out in weather like this”. I replied “Yes I do” and I’ve thought about her comment over the past day or so. I do want to be elected as Rugby’s MP whenever the election comes and in many ways it was the kind of comments that people made to me on those doorsteps yesterday morning that provide me with my resolve. So many are fed up with what Labour are doing to Britain and want to see change, and I want to do my best to ensure that change takes place. I hope that when elected I will be part of a Government that puts Britain on a track where peoples responsibilities, rights and values are respected and where people are rewarded for doing the right thing. I do want the chance to speak out for the people of the area that I come from. Every so often something comes along which causes us to question what we’re doing and why we’re doing it. I’m sure Lisa’s remark wasn’t intended to make me think deeply about my role as a Parliamentary candidate, but I’m glad that it did.