Tuesday 30 October 2007

Another Government U Turn

I have spent some time working through the consequences of the Government announcement that it would seize 5% of all unspent schools' budgets every year for the next three years. I was particularly interested in the effect locally and have been looking at the consequences for schools in Rugby. I have noted that biggest looser was likely to be Harris School, having the largest revenue balance, and others that would be hit hard are Bilton School and Newbold Riverside Primary. I was about to comment how inherently unfair this would be by creating a perverse incentive for schools to spend any surpluses by the end of the financial year, which would undermine effective planning and lead to waste. Now I see on the BBC website here that ministers have dropped the plan. Anything to do with how David Cameron ran rings round Gordon Brown on this issue at Prime Ministers questions last week?