Thursday 10 September 2009

Cycling & traffic

The weather first thing today was superb so, fair weather cyclist that I am, I rode the 7 miles or so to the office this morning. Rugby has a number of new cycle lanes which I used wherever I could but much of my journey was at the mercy of the traffic. It would be great if motorists more general had a better appreciation of the difficulties faced by cyclists, not least potholes at the side of the road which force the rider towards the centre. For this reason, I felt much safer in a cycle lane marked on a footpath, although these have a habit of suddenly disappearing
as at the town end of Dunchurch Rd. Today's Times takes up the cause of cyclists with an article here and a leader column, all of which adds to ensuring awareness of a method of transport which benefits both the individual and the environment. For my part I felt that by cycling today I dont need to go to the gym later!