Saturday 15 August 2009

Silly Season

You know it's the silly season when some remarks by an MEP in the states about the NHS spark a national debate; old comments posted on a blog some weeks ago about MP's expenses make headlines once again and the BBC repeats remarks by Lord Mandelson about his last year's holiday. I'm about to depart the silly season here by taking my annual holiday with my family when we will be visting Cuba. This is country none of us have previously visited, where people we have spoken to who have been all tell us what a great time they have had, and where there is a system of Government quite unlike anything I am familiar with. I'm looking forward to relaxing and being able to spend some time together, to seeing things done in a different way and trying to understand the way of life there. I hope to post the odd blog entry or two from internet cafes but hope that I will be forgiven if I don't achieve that. September will leave us just months away from a General Election, and from then on in the pace of local political activity will speed up. I will return, I am sure, refreshed & raring to go.