Thursday 14 May 2009

Supporting Jobseekers

In a week when figures were released showing that the number of jobless in Warwickshire has risen by 5% in just one month, I visited the local Jobcentre, This was a part of my activity to see how businesses and institutions in Rugby operate. I had previously used the services of a Jobcentre as an employer when my company was looking to recruit staff, but knew little about the process someone looking for work goes through. The manager showed me how the system works, and the support that is provided. We discussed the sectors that are shedding staff and those that are looking to recruit. Rugby has benefitted recently from the opening in coming weeks of an Asda store in the new town centre development, taking on 350 staff but there continue to be losses from both warehousing and manufacturing, both important forms of employment in the town. I was interested to note that with a larger workload, the jobcentre itself is taking on a further six advisors in the coming weeks.