Monday 1 December 2008

Back to the future

On Friday I attended a most untypical Conservative Association Branch event. More used to Cheese & Wine or Afternoon Tea, Hillmorton put on a superbly attended evening of 70's entertainment with a lively, fun band called The Grimleys who played tributes to the great names of the 70's - Marc Bolan, Ozzy Osbourne, Mott the Hoople et. al. It took me back! The 70's was a special decade for me as I sat my O and A levels, went to University, got my first job, bought my first car and met my wife then. It was also when I became first involved in politics in Rugby with the (then) Young Conservatives and at Reading University in the Student Union where I was elected as Building & Finance Officer (resigning before I took up my post). As I enjoyed the band, I thought of the many simiarities between then and now - unelected Labour Prime Minister; economic crisis; run on the pound; rising unemployment and need for the Conservatives to step in and clear up the mess!