Tuesday 11 November 2008

Remembrance Day

On Sunday I attended Rugby's remembrance day's service held at the memorial gates in Hillmorton Rd which appeared to me to be even better attended than previous years. The more I learn about the armed forces, from both the two world wars and the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, the more I appreciate the importance of the ceremony in keeping alive memories of the fallen. I have just returned from the firing of maroons which are large rockets set off at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month another part of our remembrance.
On my way back to the office I saw what was obviously a primary school trip, walking though the town accompanied by teachers and some parents. Nothing unusual about that, but every child was wearing a dayglow vest in the style of those worn by workers on building site & in warehouses. I know about health & safety requirements, but isn't this a bit over the top?