Thursday 9 October 2008

School visit

I spent this morning at Oakfield Primary School where I had been invited to address the entire School about what has become known as my "Football Shirts for Rwanda" appeal. The school already has an understanding of issues relating to overseas development, having a link with and having sent books to Ghana. I found the children receptive about what I am trying to achieve with an interest in how the facilities for youngsters to play football in Rwanda. I was asked whether they had nets on their goal posts and when I explained about a dirt pitch with wooden sticks for posts and a ball made from plastic bags tied up with string there was real concern & understanding. Less understanding, however, about my support for the local league side Coventry City! I enjoyed speaking with the Headteacher about the challenges facing the school and the excellent progress they have made in recent years.