Tuesday 3 June 2008

New Livestock Market

Over the past few years Rugby livestock market has come to look in a pretty sorry state as a result of uncertainty about its location and tought times for farmers. The old site close to the station was convenient when stock arrive by train but close to the centre of town is inappropriate for today.
After a couple of false starts, a group of farmers, led by my old school friend Richard Heckford have brought together 250 of their colleagues, supported bt other agencies to invest in a brand new site at Stoneleigh. This shows great confidence in their future by those at the sharp end of a difficult business.
Yesterday was the official opening, performed by Lord Plumb, and I was pleased to be invited. As I wandered round and watched an aution of promises to raise money for farmers benenevolent funds, I realised how many farmers I have come to know and what a solid group of people they are. I hope the new market goes from success to success.